If you are planning to be admitted to the hospital after surgery, the checklist below will help prepare for your stay:
- Documents and paperwork. Make sure to bring you list of medications, identification, and power of attorney papers.
- A small amount of money can be a good idea. Given frequent time outside of your hospital room, large amounts of money and valuables should be left at home.
- Clothing. You may want to bring comfortable pajamas or lounging clothes, if you’ll be able to wear your own clothing. Bring a supply of loose-fitting underwear and comfortable socks. Gowns will be provided in the hospital but are not always conformable. Slippers or loose shoes can also be nice.
- Eyeglasses, if you require them.
- Writing paper and pen, for making notes or recording questions you want to ask your doctor.
- Cellphone or a prepaid phone card for calls from your room telephone. Long distance calls are general not possible from your room.
- Toiletries. You can bring your toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, a comb or hair brush, and other toiletries from home. Do not bring perfumes or highly scented products.
- Entertainment. Bring books or magazines to help pass the time. Portable DVD, kindle, or iPad can also provide entertainment.
- Photos or small personal items. Many people enjoy having a couple of small framed photos or mementos from home to personalize their hospital space.
- Pillow/cushion. It is always nice to have something that reminds you of home. Generally, the bed sheets and pillows are not high quality so a little comfort from home is good.
What to bring to the hospital?